Sunday, January 22, 2006

Talking about Sleep again...

Heeding Badaunt's admonishments to humbly associate my vulnerable physical body with adequate rest, I have come to a very logical conclusion that to wake up at 10 am among the bright sun would enable me to sleep at 1 am in the morning, and get 9 hours of sleep sandwiched in between.

"Absolute rubbish," my mother chided after listening to my reasoning.

She believes that the body should be resting through the crucial times of 11 pm to 2 am, because that is when the body is actively going through self-renewal. Miss that timing, and you will find yourself with less energy.

Both of them have valid points. The human body certainly can't go without sufficient sleep, and the quality of sleep impacts upon the important operations of our body during the day. The results of 1 am retirement are shocking. I have rarely appetite for breakfast, compared to in the past of forced sleep regimentation in camp where we have to be knocked out by 10.30 pm.

One of my collegues in my office told me something about reduced insulin production if we were to skip meals. So, now I try not to skip breakfast: my father is slightly diabetic, and that makes it down as a family history. I am at risk.

For my sake, my beloved mother has came out of her bedroom to urge me to retire. Finally, I shall take her advice after taking so long to understand her.


3 Comments:

Blogger Badaunt said...

I try to be sensible about sleeping at the proper time, but it's HARD. I can manage it when I'm working (because I have to get up so early) but as soon as the weekends come I do these great sleep marathons and don't wake up until 11 or 12. Which leaves me unable to sleep until very late the next night...

I get jet lag every Monday without even going anywhere!

(I've changed your link on my blog to the new one. Sorry it took so long. I'm just getting around to some blog reading, finally.)

Sunday, January 22, 2006 10:56:00 AM  
Blogger Pkchukiss said...

I can agree with you on that.

Sometimes it is very scary how 8 hours of sleep is not enough for the weekends.

I can still wake up with a splitting headache despite sleeping at 12 am, and waking up at around 9 in the morning.

Sunday, January 22, 2006 5:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know soon bing, 2 years in the army and I still barely have any appetite to eat breakfast in the morning in camp. maybe its not about the sleeping hours, but the taste (or lack of it) of the cookhouse food. :D

and although the weekend is the opportune time for catching up on sleep, i find it too short to waste any precious time on slumber. I rather read or play the computer or just go out to hang out with friends or something.

Saturday, January 28, 2006 5:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home