Thursday, March 02, 2006

The RJC Controversy, a few years down the road

While going through my old hard disk, I came across one file that many years ago, hit the front pages of the newspapers in Singapore. Ever heard of the RJC GP teacher who publicly reprimanded her student in class? Here is the video again:

View RJC video taken secretly by a student.

When I opened the video file again, I was amazed by my neutral response to it: perhaps all my energy was expended then, in all the furious postings on local online forums?

What about you? Do you still remember this video? What were your feelings and thoughts then?


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Then the RJC video...now the NYP Video...fuck sia~

Saturday, March 04, 2006 8:37:00 AM  
Blogger Pkchukiss said...

Come to think of it, when I saw the RJC video again, I didn't have much thoughts about it.

Compare that to when I first saw the video!

Sunday, March 05, 2006 12:14:00 AM  
Blogger Badaunt said...

As a teacher, I must say when I watched this video I felt ENORMOUSLY sympathetic towards the teacher. We all crack sometimes. And when you spend hours and hours on grading and trying to figure out the best way to teach, and it feels like your whole life is spent on your students, and you're TIRED, one idiot can be the last straw that will cause meltdown.

It wasn't the most productive way to deal with the situation (the kid probably just ended up resentful) - but I bet she felt like jelly afterwards, because she would have known it wasn't the right thing to do, and felt like a professional failure. It is the worst feeling. I've been there. (Not as badly as that, but almost!)

But it wasn't the worst thing that could happen to the kid. He'll encounter worse situations, and maybe he learned something from that.

Friday, March 31, 2006 6:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home